Adam Retort Charcoal Kiln- Improved Charcoal Production System – an Low-cost retort kiln
Adam Retort is a charcoal making kiln designed by Dr. Chris Adam . It’s NOT free and Licensed. If you want to build this Adam Retort charcoal kiln, please contact him to buy license [email protected]
Adam Retort charcoal kiln is suitable for small and medium size bussiness to make clean, cheap charcoal from wood, coconuts shells, compacted saw-dust briquettes, etc.
Update on 30th, may 2015: Dr. Chris Adam was just emailed me said that he developed an unique new system for a more environmentally friendly charcoal production:
the “mobile adam–retort“
It saves up to 1/2 of wood needed compared to traditional carbonization, burns most of smoke with up to 75% reduction of harmful greenhouse emission.
- 1) High economy and better efficiency of approx. 35% to 45% (Instead of about 18% efficiency compared to the traditional systems; calculated from dry weight).
- 2) Recycling and clean combustion of the pyrolysis gas during the 2nd phase of operation (retort-system) results in a low-emission of carbon monoxides during the charcoal production! The effective carbonization of the biomass takes only 10 hours.
- Adam Retort charcoal kiln system reduces the emission of harmful volatiles into the atmosphere to about up to 75%! (Compared to a traditional earth-mount kiln).
- 3) Low investment costs of about ~900Euro (2014) and a simple construction with locally available materials. (Costs were about 300 Euro in Kenya in 2004, but now with raising steel prices costs increased…) .
- 4) About 3m3 of biomass (corresponding to approx. 600kg to 900kg wood, coconut shells, compacted saw-dust briquettes, etc., dry weight, water not counted, or ~1-1,5 tons of wet wood) can be converted to up to 350kg of charcoal per batch. Per week about 2 (maximum 3) batches of biomass can be carbonized which is corresponding to about ~0,7 tons (max. 1 ton) of charcoal per week and unit.
- 5) Adam Retort charcoal kiln have An effective 30 hour total production cycle (known as batch) and a simple operation of the plant result in an increased income for its operators. The right system to be used at forest projects, sustainable energy-wood plantations and charcoal makers in rural areas or for semi-industrial production.
- 6) Only waste wood or residual biomass needs to be burnt (~50kg) in a separate fire box to dry and heat the wood and initiate the carbonization process during the 1st phase.
- 7) With an extended version the famous “white charcoal” should be possible to be produced? This is an adapted Japanese technology to produce high quality and strong charcoal.
- Also the production of “wood vinegar” is possible during the 1st phase of operation.
Below is some information about the Adam Retort charcoal kiln design for you to image how it works and how to build. Detail infos and tech specs how to build Adam Retort charcoal kiln please purchase it from Dr. Chris Adam.
I have no chance to buid this Adam retort kiln myself due to no time and not enough money to puchase the license ( few hundreds $ for 6 kilns )
Please dont start building the Adam retort Kiln yourslef without buying lecense because without detailed techs specs from Dr. Chris Adam, the kiln will fail for sure and loosing alot of money ( bricks, labour, steel ,,, ).
Below is charcoal was made by Adam Retort kiln
Adam retort can also produce Coconuts Shell or compacted saw-dust briquettes charcoal
Pictures of the Adam Retort in Lao P.D.R.
Thanks Chris Adam who Design this Kiln and all other people help me to finish this post . Please let me know if you want me to take down and parts, pictures … of this Post
If you managed running an Adam Retort, Please post comments here to let us know how it works, any problems … Thanks You
Video clips of ADAM Retort Charcoal Kiln: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omvLK-rksRA
Thanks to these source of pictures and infos: